October 8 for $10 - Project #4


The final project from this month's 8 for $10 workshop was a Stair Step Fold Card. I saw a card by Lorri Heiling on her blog soon after the Stampin' Up! Holiday Mini Catalog came out. She used the new Pumpkin Patch stamp set for hers. I love the Autumn Harvest stamp set, so I set out to make a card with it instead.

I was also inspired by the children's Halloween poem, "Five Little Pumpkins." You remember it, right? They were sitting on a fence. I pondered for a few moments on how to make a picket fence, and then decided that a rounded white fence using my Scallop Edge punch would be just as nice. To make distressed looking lines to indicate individual slats of wood, stand a Chocolate Chip Stampin' Up! marker so that the writing tip is up. After a few minutes, the ink runs to the other end, and it's just right for drawing sketchy lines.

This card went through many versions before I was completely settled with it. I played with different shades of oranges, rust and golds before settling on just Pumpkin Pie and Really Rust. I didn't like the jack-o-lantern face on the little pumpkins, so I decided to only put it on the large pumpkins. I added sponging to the full moon, Happy Halloween sign and toothpick signpost for extra depth and richness of color.

The last change I made was to chop off the back fold of Garden Green to make it Not Quite Navy. It looked much better and more believable as a backdrop for the big full moon. You can find a Stair Step Card Tutorial on the Splitcoast Stampers website if you'd like to try one yourself.

I'm really pleased with the final version of this card. I didn't come up with using the Stair Step Fold Card to make a pumpkin patch, but I think from there, I created something pretty special that's my own. I don't sit and do that very often. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: